Saturday 27 August 2011

Information Literacy ......if others can't define it, then why am I trying???

So, have been faced with the readings for Topic 4 - Information Literacy. Time and time again I am reading about what an information literate learner will be like but not an actual definition for Information Literacy. So I Googled and Dogpiled and Metacrawled my way to .....
"Information literacy is knowing when and why you need information, where to find it, and how to evaluate, use and communicate it in an ethical manner."
(Chartered Institute of Library & Information Professionals)- CILIP.
I have felt compelled to find a definition and now that I found one that makes sense to me, I can look at the information and refer back to the definition. That's what works for me.

I also found an acronym I like that will help me teach Information Literacy effectively and efficiently;
D.I.S.C.O.V.E.R
Define
Inquire
Search
Collect
Organise
Verify
Express
Reflect (University of Mary Washington - 2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment