Friday 12 August 2011

Heard something interesting....

I was speaking to someone over the weekend about going back to school. The conversation was going well until they asked me what I was studying. When I replied, "I'm studying my Masters in Teacher Librarianship", there was a distinct pause and then, "Isn't that a dying profession?" After my own considerable pause, a fierce sense of loyalty made me quote different people from the Forums on 401 and 501 and information that I didn't realise I had taken in came spouting out. I spoke of information literacy; the use of technology and the importance of tying it to the curriculum. I discussed the need for dictionaries in each classroom and the need for students to know alphabetical order. I was on a roll and quite pleased with my arguments for the Teacher Librarian. Then I realised, what an an underestimated, misunderstood profession it is. It is up to us and the other Teacher Librarians out there to toot our own horns and let people know that what we do is important and valuable. So, TOOT if you're a Teacher Librarian!

No comments:

Post a Comment